1 Samuel 15:35
1 Kings 15:14
2 Kings 18:5
2 Kings 24:6
- Matthew 2:1
- " . . . Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king . . . "
- Luke 2:4
- "And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem . . . "
- Matthew indicates that Mary and Joseph lived at Bethlehem, but Luke says that they returned to Bethlehem for the census. Therefore, it is argued, there is an apparent discrepancy.
- Jesus' birth in Bethlehem is no more proof that his parents lived there, than the statement that "I was born at sea" implies that mine lived in a ship.
- A reading of Luke 2:1-7 shows that while at Bethlehem for the census, Jesus was born. Mary had lived at Nazareth in Galilee before the journey to Bethlehem. (Luke 1:26,27)