1 Samuel 15:35
1 Kings 15:14
2 Kings 18:5
2 Kings 24:6
- Matthew 17:1
- "And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart."
- Mark 9:2
- This is the same as Matthew's account.
- Luke 9:28
- "And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray."
- If the Bible is indeed an inspired revelation of God to man, then why the discrepancy between the numbers of days in Matthew, Mark, and Luke?
- Notice that Luke says "about" - an approximation.
- There are several ways of accounting for the difference in the number of days. The most probable one is that Luke uses the Jewish method of counting in which case he would count the remaining part of the day on which Jesus spoke (see vs. 27) as one day, as well as the early part of the day before they went up into the mountain. These two days, plus the intervening six of Matthew and Mark's record, account for the eight days.