The Truth about
1 Sam. 28:8-15
1 Kings 17:21
1 Thess. 5:23
1 Peter 3:19
- Ecclesiastes 12:7
- "The spirit shall return unto God who gave it."
- This passage is cited as evidence that man's immortal spirit (or soul) leaves the body at death and returns to God.
- The passage makes no distinction between "good" and "bad" spirits.
- If the spirit is to return to God, it must have come from God. But who would suggest one has a conscious existence before the earthly life begins? Therefore, there is no reason to expect a conscious existence when this life ends.
- The word "spirit" (Hebrew "ruach") is the same as in Ecc. 3:19 (Heb. "ruach", translated "breath"). could any argue that beasts have, or are, immortal "spirits"?
- The writer of Ecclesiastes emphatically teaches the mortality of man. (See Ecc. 9:5,6,10; 3:19,20).